As I have mentioned before about lentils, it is sooooo much easier if you soak them throughout the day or the night before. They will cook much faster and use less water during cooking. As with my beet braised lentils, this recipe is designed for presoaked lentils. If you haven't soaked your lentils, keep this in mind, because you are going to need more liquid and more time.
coconut curried lentils
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 diced yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp chopped or grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp chopped or grated fresh turmeric
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 15oz can coconut milk
- 1 15oz can of water (use the same can)
- 1 cup of dry lentils (presoaked for at least 4 hours, they will become more than 1 cup)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Keep on a low boil for 20-25 minutes, or until most of the liquid had been absorbed. Add fresh kale and parsley, cook for 5 more minutes and remove from heat.
Toast naan bread (no, I didn't make my own, that will be another project in itself!) and serve.